A third positive results in a one-year playing ban. Amphetamine use is also prohibited.
* Prohibits the use of anabolic steroids, certain stimulants and human or animal growth hormones in addition to agents known to mask the presence of the drugs in urine.
* All players are subject to four random tests each season.
* A player can come forward voluntarily if he is using a prohibited substance to get treatment without penalty.
* All players are tested for prohibited substances at least once during the regular season. A second positive results in a 25-game suspension. A player would be kicked out of the NBA for a fourth positive.
* A first positive test will result in suspension for at least four games. Rules regarding use of amphetamines were also tightened.. The second positive test would result in suspension for at least eight games. A first positive test would result in treatment and a second would lead to a 15-day suspension. Each week during the regular season, 10 players on every team are randomly selected to be tested. Players under contract may also be tested up to six times during the off-season months.
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL
* A first-time positive test results in a 10-game suspension. Only on the fifth positive test would a player be banned from playing for one year.
NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE
(Reuters) -Disgraced Olympic sprinter Marion Jones was sentenced to six months in prison on Friday for lying to federal prosecutors about her steroid use.
* Steroids, diuretics, performance-enhancing drugs and masking agents are all prohibited substances.
Following are the current rules regarding steroids in various U.S. A third positive leads to a one-year playing ban. Suspensions are all without pay.
(Writing by Deborah Charles and Paul Grant)
* Testing in the Major Leagues began during spring training in 2003 but penalties were light. A player would be suspended for 100 games for a second positive test and banned for life for the third positive result, though players can seek reinstatement after a two-year suspension. In addition, random testing is conducted while preseason games are played. Under new rules, a positive test result causes a 50-game ban without pay. sports:
* Prohibits the use of performance-enhancing drugs like anabolic steroids. Any player who tests positive must go through treatment.
NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION
* In December 2005 the baseball players’ association approved a proposal by team owners to tighten up the steroid policy
Latest posts by valleyresponsema (see all)
- NFL, others file lawsuit to block New Jersey sports betting| Reuters - September 11, 2016
- Sports :: College Football – If You Thought SEC Was the Toughest NCAA Conference, Think Again - September 11, 2016
- Using Reverse Line Movement To Win - September 10, 2016